- Rewritten installer that makes installation even easier
- Faster and easier package management
- Easier system updates with PackageKit
- Easier 3-D effects with Compi z-Fusion and CCSM
- KDE 4 - The next generation KDE Desktop
- GNOME 2.22 - Latest and greatest GNOME release
- Firefox 3.0 - openSUSE ships with Firefox 3.0 beta 5, will update to 3.0 final
- OpenOffice.org 2.4 - Latest OpenOffice.org, with dozens of improvments and new features, including better VBA support, 3-D transitions in Impress, and import support for Microsoft Office 2007 document formats.
- Banshee 1.0 - Major update to Novell-sponsored multimedia application.
- Tasque - Simple and elegant to-do application.
- NetworkManager 0.7 - Cutting edge release of NetworkManager, which includes support for EV-DO/UMTS cards.
- PulseAudio - Better sound management in GNOME.
- Linux kernel 2.6.25 - Most recent major release of the Linux kernel
- Nearly every application has been updated since 10.3
- More than 200 new features specific to openSUSE
Thursday, June 19, 2008
openSUSE 10.3 released
Features added to OpenSuse 11.0 since version 10.3, the latest stable version, include Linux kernel 2.6.25, Xen 3.2 virtualisation, windowing engine X.Org 7.3.openSUSE 11.0 includes two branches of KDE — the KDE 3.5.x series, which is the stable and older KDE series that many openSUSE users are already familiar with, and the cutting edge KDE4. GNOME users will find a lot to like in openSUSE 11.0. openSUSE’s GNOME is very close to upstream GNOME, because Novell and openSUSE want to do as much work as possible in the upstream release. OpenOffice.org 2.4 provides openSUSE users with a top-notch office suite with a word processor (Writer), spreadsheet (Calc), presentation tool (Impress), and drawing software (Draw). Here’s some of the improvements you’ll see in openSUSE 11.0: